Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Initiation of the Discovery Club

I've become frustrated at my other projects, having found out too late that the monies for this year have finished already.  So the latrine project and the computer lab project are on a hiatus right now until we can think of another strategy.  I've scaled back to doing things that require little to no reliance on outside resources and coordination of motivation and deadlines.  I've refocused myself, for the time being, to Peace Corps' basic ideological core--presence, exposure, and inspiration.  Rather than trying to "fix" all the problems--or at least finding solutions for them--I've just jumped in with the students and trying to find ways to show them things that they don't normally have access to, but I do.  So, hopefully, if I can get all the right tools, it will be successful.

I've just finished with the second meeting of my junior high school club, which I'm unofficially referring to as the Discovery Club.  It's got no real form yet, or real agenda.  I just wanted something really informal and fluid; a venue or somewhat organized time that I could use to expose them to some new things when I get them, a time to relax and get to know them, help them with whatever they need--school or otherwise, and when the mood is right, talk to them about bigger things--help them learn what they want to learn.  I want it to be a place and time of discovery--especially at this time in their lives when they're on the verge of adulthood.  Many of them, in fact, will be adults in the next few years, such is the rate of growing up around here.  I have art supplies they aren't familiar with.  I can show them Planet Earth, so they have some idea of the world outside of Damanko or Ghana.  I have seeds for plants they don't normally see.  I can introduce new sports games (like Dodgeball or Capure the Flag).  Maybe we can do some simple science experiments.  We can read books and magazines; do roleplays or some dramas or watch movies or do crafts.  We can make pen pal opportunities, learn about constellations, or just do riddles and puzzles.  Anything really, once I have the materials.  If you have an idea, don't hesitate to tell me or help me!  The people that fascinated me the most when I was a kid were the ones who could bring the world to me--exchange students, groups from foreign places, etc.  And that's the kind of volunteer I want to be.

From here I can also start my girls' club.  When I know a few of the well enough, it can be made of girls who want to be a part of it and show promise, but have a tougher time succeeding because of other obstacles.  We can talk and learn about other important "girl stuff"--role models, gender roles, how our bodies work, life skills like decision making and goal setting, watch sappy romantic movies, and so on.

Oddly enough, I'm beginning to find it easier to work with the school kids than the adults, and kids used to scare me.  Young children do still to some extent, but I'm learning to enjoy them in packs of only 2 or 3.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if you have corn starch there or not but there is a simple science experiment for you. Just mix 1 cup of corn starch with 1/2 cup of water. I don't know if you ever did it but it makes an interesting solid liquid. We just made it with Kairi this weekend and she loved it! It cleans up easy too. We call it Ooblick.

    ReplyDelete